May 20, 2021
Dear Members of Westminster:
All of us on the staff, the Covid-19 Task Force, and the Session are so grateful to each of you for your patience and perseverance throughout these past 15 months. While the pandemic has affected everyone in different ways, you have remained steadfast and faithful. I am reminded of Jesus’s words in the Gospel of John: “Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another.”
In the face of many unforeseen challenges, you have loved as Jesus called us to love. It has been extraordinary to witness your faith and love in action during this time.
At a called Session meeting earlier today, the Session approved a series of recommendations from the staff and Covid-19 Task Force, in response to the new guidelines from the CDC.
1. Vaccinated adults will no longer be required to wear masks indoors at Westminster, including during worship.
2. We know that everyone’s comfort level regarding masks is different, and that a segment of our membership (children 11 years old and younger) are still not eligible to be vaccinated. For those of you who are more comfortable continuing to wear masks at church gatherings, we encourage you to do so.
3. When church events occur outdoors, it is up to each individual whether or not to wear a mask.
4. We will trust one another and operate on an honor system. Unvaccinated adults are required to wear masks for any church event indoors.
5. We will no longer sign up ahead of time for worship. All are welcome.
6. We will encourage seating by every other pew to continue to provide space among worshipers in the sanctuary.
7. Pastors will be present at the doors after worship to greet people.
8. We will gradually introduce congregational singing back into our liturgy, starting Sunday, May 30.
9. Our nursery will reopen on Sunday, May 30.
10. Donuts will return after worship on Sunday, May 30.
You are welcome to attend our 11:15am worship in the sanctuary this Sunday, May 23, without signing up ahead of time. You are also invited to drop by the Green Lot this Sunday sometime between 3-4:30pm to greet and welcome our new Associate Pastor, Julia Watkins!
On Sunday, May 30, we will switch to our summer schedule, with worship at 10am. We will continue to livestream all our worship services in the sanctuary.
I look forward to seeing many of you this Sunday as we celebrate Pentecost together!