Where We Started
On Mother’s Day, 1947, in order to meet the needs of the rapidly growing Augusta Road area, twenty-three “missionaries” from the First Presbyterian Church in Greenville congregated under a tent pitched on the southeast corner of the present church property. It was Westminster’s first service of worship. We have gathered every Sunday since.
As membership increased, Westminster’s expanded its facilities. The first church building was erected in 1947, followed by the church school addition in 1956. In November 1962, the construction of the present sanctuary began. Since that time, the church building has accommodated gradual growth until 2004, when a focus on the future resulted in a doubling of the size of the facility, including a new fellowship hall and expanded education wing. In 2008, Westminster embarked on the completion of a twenty-five year master plan which resulted in expanding the sanctuary, while also improving the fellowship, meeting, and administrative areas of the church.
Throughout its existence, Westminster has reached out in service to the community. The first home of Meals on Wheels was in Westminster’s kitchen for more than twenty years. Ten percent of the funds raised in the last three building campaigns have been used to support community and international programs such as The Pleasant Valley Connection, the Embangweni Mission Hospital in Malawi, Africa, the United Ministries Adult Learning Center, affordable housing for the mentally ill on Arlington Avenue, Montreat Conference Center, and Princeton Theological Seminary.
With a membership of over 1,700, Westminster continues to strive to meet the spiritual, educational, and physical needs of its members, as well as the surrounding community.